Tuesday, June 17, 2014

DSC_4731-2

This was my most satisfying make in a while.  Over the month of May I wore at least one handmade item each day and I came to realise that I should be sewing more casual wear as that is what I like to wear on a day to day basis, not pretty dresses.

Immediately after I saw this cardigan pop up on my Instagram feed I downloaded myself a copy, printed it out, and got to sewing.  It was such a fast make and I finally got over my fear of my serger ( which I have since broken, yet another lesson that I should buy quality goods. )

And here’s a quick photo of some recent pottery items.

DSC_4723

 

Thursday, May 8, 2014

DSC_4700

I’ve been thinking about making this dress for a while now.  The inspiration started with this pin and evolved a bit when I saw Jen’s Madewell Scout tutorial.  I started with Colette’s Laurel pattern and then applied Jen’s instructions for this alteration, using the Scout T’s sleeve pattern piece.  One sleeve set in beautifully, but I could not for the life of me get the other to even come close! I have no idea what happened there.

DSC_4710

It’s an incredibly comfortable dress and I hope to sew up a striped knit dress to pop underneath soon.

I’ve also been quietly posting my Me Made May photos over on Instagram: @alisonrea

Thursday, April 24, 2014

DSC_4596

[Climb by Jane Richmond]

Monday, April 14, 2014

IMG_3486

Well, it looks as though it has been over three months since I last posted any of my makes. I’ve been spending most of my creative time in the pottery studio. I have sewn and knit a few things too, but the short, dark and rainy days of winter haven’t inspired me to photograph much. But, this weekend the sun came out and I was inspired to go back to two of my tried and true patterns. Grainline’s Moss Mini Skirt and Deer and Doe’s Datura Blouse.

I’ve had the denim all cut for at least a month now and got to stitching it up earlier this week. It was my third go at putting it together and I think I finally have gotten the hang of the front fly zipper. After completing the skirt I decided I needed a new top to photograph it with. Plus, I had some beautiful raw silk in my closet waiting to be cut into. The Datura blouse came together in a little over two hours, I can be sure of this as it was almost complete in a single Netflix movie. I made a few modifications. I left out the collar, lowered the bust darts, and best of all I used the ingenious instructions for combining the shell and lining of the bodice from Colette’s Rooibos Dress. You may also notice that I added tiny pocket to the top, this design feature was added after I cut a couple small holes in the fabric while trimming my seams!

IMG_3454

IMG_3470

Sunday, January 5, 2014

It’s a new year, and along with a new year generally comes resolutions.  I’m not all that big on setting goals as the calendar flips over, but when I sat down and thought about it there were a couple small things that came to mind.  First off, I bought this lovely machine WAY back in June.  Some day soon I intend to take it out of the box and learn how to use it! And then there’s this book, that I eagerly ordered immediately after taking a pattern drafting course. It too has yet to be opened.

DSC_4569DSC_4574

And in addition to these two things, I am enrolled in various classes on Craftsy that are patiently awaiting me, I have a closet full of patterns and fabric, and a rather large wicker basket overflowing with skeins of wool.

So many possibilities, how does one ever decide what to do…